Well, newbies, take it from us. This never happens. For Friday and Saturday nights, 7/19 and 7/20, in Council Bluffs prior to the start of RAGBRAI, PBV has reserved large blocks of rooms at the Springhill Suites by Marriott, which is part of our campsite on those days. Please read all the way through this offer before responding.
We haven't had a hot RAGBRAI since 2012, and Lord help us, we keep wondering if this is the year when we'll be temperature-challenged. No pressure, but here's your chance for another night or two of air-conditioned comfort before the camping begins:
- We have king rooms and double queens, and every room has a sleeper sofa. We'll fill up fast. Feel free to request a room type, but the room type can't be a deal-breaker for you.
- PBV has negotiated a rate of $134.00 (including tax). Our riders can easily carry bags into and out of the hotel, so we have not added any transfer fee.
- If you are on our Weeklong Support, or if you're spending the first half of RAGBRAI with us, we welcome you to reserve one night or both.
- Will you arrive on Friday from Keokuk? We offer Friday departures on the East/West Shuttle from Keokuk to Council Bluffs at 1:00 and 3:00 pm (in addition to three departure times on Saturday morning). You have not yet had the chance to give us your preferred departure day and time. That happens later in June, but you can make a Friday night hotel reservation in Council Bluffs with the confidence that we will give you your Friday shuttle preference. (When we ask for your preference, please record it on your June Form in a timely way!)
- Will you arrive on Friday from Omaha? If you're flying or driving into Omaha, we do not offer a shuttle to Council Bluffs on Friday, but you can Uber or take a cab. It's about 15 minutes from the Omaha airport to the Springhill Suites by Marriott. And of course, if you use our shuttle from the Omaha airport on Saturday, you're welcome to reserve a Saturday-night room.
- At our Front Desk, we will offer check-in for Weeklong Support on Friday evening from about 6:00 to 8:30 pm. (And all day Saturday.)
- We will have one or two food trucks on our site on Friday evening, (and more all day Saturday) just outside the Springhill Suites hotel. Their offerings are delicious! Details to come.
- There are a couple restaurants and a casino within walking distance, and the hotel shuttle can take you to other restaurants and casinos.
- It's a pleasant walk of 5 or 6 blocks to the Bike Expo and Festivities on Saturday.
- There's a Bass Pro Shop (a camping mega-store) across the street from Springhill Suites. Rumor has it that a brewery will be opening across the street, too.
- Do remember that on Sunday morning by 7:00 a.m., your bags must be either on the baggage trailer, or, if you're in one of our rental tents, in your tent. (That time is the same whether you stay in the hotel or camp on Saturday night. 7:00 sharp.)
- p.s. we have a handful of rooms on Thursday, 7/18, too.